Thursday, July 30, 2009

Thobela.... It is the morning after our return from South Africa. Yesterday we enjoyed a very scenic train ride through Switzerland and spent some time in Lucern... taking in the sights of the Swiss Alps and buying lots of chocolate to bring home. We left Switzerland at 5:30 and landed in Boston at 7:45... just two hours later but more than 8 hours had passed for us during that time. We also safely got through customs....although there was a bit of an issue as to whether dried Ostrich would be acceptable to bring into the country. We were greeted by several parents who came to pick up there tired travelers. We loaded up the van and headed home. We did make a stop at Dunkin Donuts for some much needed caffeine.... the coffee in South Africa left a bit to be desired. Ivy asked me to leave a post before I went to bed but I was so excited to share adventures about my trip with loved ones that I forgot so I am doing it now.
Words cannot describe my feeling about this life changing experience. For me personally... I had the opportunity to spent time in a high school in South Africa and although at times I struggle with many of the budget challenges at LHS... compared to South African schools we are truly blessed. I had the privilege of teaching a Physics class .... not to 20 kids in a classroom but to 60+.... They are used to a total lecture atmosphere as supplies for labs are unavailable. I visited a local grocery store... bought some balloon, tin foil, thread and some confetti and I dazzled them with what I would call rather simplistic demonstrations showing static electricity and I had them eating out of my hands. It was so much fun and they were totally amazed. I had their undivided attention for over two hours.... They were so eager to learn. I also had the opportunity to attend a volleyball practice. They play on a dirt court with a homemade poles and net... and they play barefoot because they can't afford sneakers. They were so pleased with the Mikasa volleyballs that I brought with me and wanted me to play with them and teach them AMERICAN drills.... it was such a blast. I thoroughly enjoyed our visit to the orphanage... I became quickly attached to this one little boy.... if I had a duffle bag with me I probably would have brought him home with me.... he was so cute and so starving for attention.
Although it is great to be home... this was a trip that I will remember for a long time and I know that if I ever want to return that I will have a place to stay at Dorcas's... and I will return. I truly want to thank Ivy and Seth for organizing this trip and sharing this special place with us. I am grateful for having had the opportunity to be a part of it and it was a journey that I will never forget. To the parents of the participants.... you should be very proud of your children....they were incredible and I was very proud of what they did while they were there. They brought many smiles to the faces of the children of Mamabolo.

We will be having a South Africa night real soon.... we have a bizzillion of pictures and stories to share. The student will be presenting their EOLs and we have South African souvenirs to raffle off. We hope you will join us. So until then... gabotse !

Bonnie Ashworth aka: Labo










Gabotse..... Labo

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for some interesting information to share with us. inquiry system & finance report features in a free trial of Club Management Software

    ReplyDelete